June 25 – 28, 2020 (four days and three nights)
SOLD OUT – Reservations being accepted for a wait list
The Master Gardener Society of Oakland County invites you to join us as we travel to Southeastern Pennsylvania for our 20th Anniversary Garden Tour.
With a tradition of horticulture going back 300 years, the Greater Philadelphia region is referred to as “America’s Garden Capital of the U.S.” Spend your days strolling through magnificent, premier gardens and arboretums. There are more famous public gardens, arboreta and historic landscapes in the region than anywhere else in North America.
One of the famous gardens on our itinerary is Longwood Gardens which began as a humble Quaker farm to becoming one of the premier gardens of the world. Longwood Gardens’ 1,083-acres showcases formal and informal gardens, fountains, a meadow and farmhouse, and a grand 4-acre conservatory. Explore the beauty and wonders of nature at Phipps Conservatory, encompassing 15-acres including a 14-room glass house. Chanticleer, known as a “pleasure garden”, is a 48-acre botanical garden built on the grounds of the Rosengarten estate. Winterthur gardens are one of the last of the original “wild gardens”. The wild garden concept is built around the idea of gardening on a broad scale, “placing perfectly hardy exotic plants under conditions where they will thrive.” The woodland gardens at the Mt. Cuba Center produce some of the most spectacular displays of wildflowers in the mid-Atlantic region. Additional venues will be announced for our visit to the area.
Have fun making new friends, reuniting with past travel companions, and talking “plants” with like-minded people. You do not have to be a Master Gardener to participate, but if you are, you will earn Master Gardener Continuing Education hours. There will truly be something for everyone and, you would NEVER do and see this much on your own!
- Transportation by luxury motor coach
· Four days touring and three nights hotel (downtown Lancaster, PA)
· Breakfast each day and other meals as determined
· Admission to all gardens and venues we visit
- Movies, fun games, prizes, opportunities to shop for plants and garden art, and evening free time to explore local restaurants and attractions.
Cost: Estimated cost is $575-$625 per person, double occupancy, with an up-charge for single occupancy. A deposit of $150 is required to reserve a place.
Please read the 2020 MGSOC Garden Tour-Deposit Form for further details. Wait list applications are being accepted.
If you have questions, please email Sue Williams, Trip Leader, Committee Chair Trips and Tours, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2019 – 19th Annual Bus Trip to Madison, Wisconsin, the City of Lakes
- 2018 – Finger Lakes Region of New York State
- 2017 – Louisville, KY
- 2016 – Cleveland, Ohio – Toledo Botanical Garden, Schedel Arboretum, Schoepfle Garden, Clevand Botanical Garden, Lakeview Cemetery, Holden Arboretum
- 2015 – Chicago Botanical Gardens, Milwaukee and more
- 2014 – St. Louis, Missouri
- 2013 – Ohio/Kentucky – Private conifer garden, Wegerzyn Gardens, Krohn Conservatory, Yew-Dell Gardens and Spring Grove Cemetery.
- 2012 – Philadelphia – Longwood Gardens, Winterthur, Morris Arboretum and Bertram’s Garden with an appearance by John Bertram.
- 2011 Bruce Peninsula – Canada. Private rural gardens, waterfalls and wine.
- 2010 Pittsburgh, PA. – Frank Lloyd Wright’s Falling Water, Phipp’s Conservatory, local celebrity Doug Oster’s garden and neighbor’s Japanese garden, Hunt Institute of Botanical Documentation, Sandhill Berry Farm and Greendance Winery, Duquesne Incline, Stan Hywet Gardens, Fellows-Riverside Gardens, National Aviary, Rodef Shalom Biblical Garden and Naturally Native Nursery.
- 2009 Franklin Park Conservatory, Park of Roses, Topiary Garden, German Village Home and Garden Tour and Schedel Arboretum – Ohio
- 2008 Oakhurst Gardens, Carolee’s Herb Garden, Shipshewana, Amish Acres and Intl. Friendship Garden – Indiana
- 2007 Cantiny Gardens, Chicago Botanical Garden, Morton Arboretum, Evanstan and Fernwood Botanical Gardens – Illinois & Michigan
- 2006 Shakespeare Gardens, Stratford; Toronto Islands Cottage Gardens, Laura Grant’s Garden and Blue Man Group – Toronto
- 2005 Frederik Meijer Gardens, Dow Gardens, Grand Hotel Gardens and Lilac Festival Mackinac Island – Michigan
- 2004 Holden Arboretum, Cleveland Botanical Gardens, Toledo Botanical Gardens and Put-in-Bay – Ohio
- 2003 Royal Botanical Gardens, Hamilton and Niagara Falls – Ontario, Canada
- 2002 Chicago Botanical Garden, Hidden Lake Gardens and Shipshewana – Illinois and Indiana
- 2001 Fernwood Botanical Garden and Tree-Mendus Fruit Farm – Michigan